You probably thought about getting your facelift for quite a while. Finally, you’re committed to looking 10 years younger, talked it over with your doctor and decided a VitalizeLift facelift was the best choice for you. Your doctor discussed the stages of recovery with you before you had the procedure so you’d be prepared.
The recovery process is every bit as important as the surgery. Achieving a more youthful and beautiful you is a team goal. You’re in charge of the recovery, but your team, the surgeon and other Skintastic staff members are cheering you on and will be there for you when needed. You’re not in this alone.
The Day of the Surgery
The surgery is normally over in two hours or less. If you chose to have additional surgical corrections performed at the same time, such as eyelid surgery or a brow lift, it could take longer.
Most patients have few or no side effects from the “twilight sleep” or intravenous sedation used during the surgery. The most common side effect is nausea. Of course, if you’ve ever had problems with anesthesia in the past, let your surgeon/anesthetist know before surgery is scheduled.
You’ll want to have someone there to drive you home. It’s a good idea to have that person with you when you receive aftercare instructions since you won’t be at your best and your partner may have questions. You’ve just had a surgical procedure and will be feeling some pain and perhaps aftereffects of the sedation. Take any medications that have been prescribed as indicated on the label and rest. That’s all you’ll really feel like doing anyway.
Recovering at Home
With a traditional full facelift, it may be two weeks or more before patients feel like being seen in public. Because you chose a VitalizeLift face lift, the recovery period is much shorter, and you see positive results sooner. That’s why some people refer to it as a “weekend face lift.”
However, a shorter recovery doesn’t mean an instant recovery, especially if another procedure was also performed. You might find it easier to avoid mirrors for a short time if the sight of the swelling and bandages bother you. They will be gone soon.
Post-operative swelling around your mouth, chin and jaw is normally more uncomfortable than painful. You may notice a feeling of tightness. An important part of this facelift is the tightening of the connective tissue layer below the skin, crucial for your more youthful appearance.
As is true with surgeries or injuries in general, you’re going to feel worse before you feel better. This period passes quickly, so don’t let it upset you.
Tips for a Smooth, Easy Recovery
- Read and follow your post-operative instructions. Your face is priceless and needs gentle, careful treatment.
- Don’t skip any post-op instructions, such as not taking the full course of antibiotics.
- Rest as much as possible. When you resume normal activities, be sure to get enough sleep.
- Cold compresses or cool packs constrict blood vessels and help reduce swelling and pain.
- Leave any bandages alone unless your doctor said to remove or change them.
- Follow instructions on keeping the area sterile. It’s important for preventing infection which will cause additional swelling. Wash hands frequently and thoroughly.
- If you experience itching from healing, don’t scratch. That could cause scarring.
- Eat foods you can chew easily until the swelling goes down.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid sun and heat, including sunlamps or tanning for up to six weeks. Sun ages the skin at the best of times and heat can increase swelling.
- Don’t get back into a strenuous exercise program or similar activities for at least two weeks or until cleared by your doctor.
- Don’t pick up any heavy objects or bend over. This will strain healing tissues.
- Sleep with your head propped up, don’t lie flat. Elevating your head reduces pressure on your healing skin and helps reduce swelling.
- Follow any instructions on washing or combing your hair. You don’t want to tug on healing incisions.
- Don’t apply make up, moisturizer or oils to the incisions until your doctor okays it.
- Keep pets away from your face to avoid injury to healing incisions or a possible infection.
You Can Prolong Healing, But You Can’t Rush It
In the immediate period after surgery, you’ll feel tired because recovery and healing takes energy. Call your doctor immediately if an incision should feel hot, become redder or you notice any discharge.
Complete internal healing can take up to a year, but the incisions will fade much sooner. Your doctor may recommend massaging the incisions at some point. Ask about when to do it and what technique to use.
In addition to the VitalizeLift face lift, Skintastic offers other cutting edge Skin Care Treatments – all designed to Make You More Beautiful.
Check out our Skincentives Monthly Membership and enjoy your favorite skin care treatments at a discount.
Our skin care treatments include:
- Oxygeneo Hydrating Facial
- Microdermabrasion “the Lunchtime Peel”
- Customized Chemical Peels
- And many more…
Skintastic is committed to making you look and feel more beautiful. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation. We’re looking forward to meeting you!
As with all medical procedures, individual results and experiences may vary.